What will inspire you to create today?

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival 2012


Amy's Creative Side


Hi there, I've decided to enter a quilt in the Blogger's Quilt Festival.


I made this quilt for my friends Sarah and Nate and their newborn baby Frieda.


La InspiraciĆ³n:

Nate and I went to college at Chico State together and later I dated one of his close friends.  Back in 2002 he suggested that we come to Sun Valley Idaho for vacation.  He gave us a list of the top 10 things we should do in Ketchum.  One morning while we were in Ketchum sipping coffee at one of the local coffee shops, I met a retired teacher whom told us about the school district here.  He told me his wife also a teacher just started working for the Dual Immersion Program the school district just started.  Immediately I was intrigued because I went to school to be a Dual Immersion teacher.  After doing a little research I learned the program was in the second year and the district was hiring teachers for the Spanish side.  At the time since it was June I already had signed a contract in California to teach fifth grade.  However, the hiring team let me know they would hire each year for the next 11 years, so to please keep them in mind.  The following year in March when my contract would not be renewed in California because of budget cuts, I decided to call Blaine County School District to see about a job.  I am just now finishing up my 9th year of working here in Idaho.  I have since then met my husband and we have a beautiful 3 year old.  We have bought a home and  I call Idaho home.  This Spring when Nate and Sarah brought Frieda into their family I decided to repay them with a baby quilt as a token to my gratitude for suggesting to visit Sun Valley.  

The Process:

The blocks in the quilt come from the Flickr group Scrapbuster Swap.  The 7th round of the swap was making Bento boxes.  I actually had a different quilt in mind I was thinking I was going to make for Frieda until the blocks arrived in the mail.  They were perfect for a baby quilt and especially for Frieda.  She was born in Shanghai where her mom teaches dance.  Bento boxes have an Asian flair and so I just had to put it together for her.  I Free Motion Quilted the quilt using King Tut variegated thread and a pebble pattern as well as a meandering stitch.  I love how the thread built up and it looks just perfect.   I now feel confident with my pebbling and so enjoyed making this quilt for my friends. 

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you come again and don't forget to visit the other talented people in the Blogger's Quilt Festival.

11 comments:

  1. Idaho and Sun Valley are beautiful. You are truly blessed to live there. My husbands grandparents are from Mackay just over the pass. Your quilt story is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics you've used in this quilt and the backdrop in that photo is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty quilt! Love the variegated thread pebbles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors and fabric you've combined are so pretty and heartwarming together. Loveable and pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your Bentos-

    Check out my blog if you can...

    Margaret Gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The giant bento boxes are great, especially with the mix of prints. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice quilt! I love the bright colors, especially for a baby quilt. I'm also a Chico grad :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt withies of interest and colour

    ReplyDelete
  9. great quilt. lucky little girlie!! so bright and fun. needing to make a quilt for my grandniece's soon to be born little girl--this is great inspiration. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete